Page 1 of 1

Expeditionary Force book series by Craig Alanson

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2026 9:53 pm
by Micael
I went into the first book blind, not knowing what to expect. It was a bit protracted and slow moving during the first half of the book but then a big twist appeared and things got really interesting.

It’s a space opera type series with a lot of comedic elements, which is a bit unusual for the genre, and it’s actually really good once it gets going. You do notice that the early novels in the series were self published as on a few occasions elements or explanations are repeated, being obvious mistakes between revisions/edits. But nevertheless Alanson (or Craig Odell as is the author’s real name) has an excellent engaging storytelling ability, is clearly very imaginative, exhibits a good understanding of both military matters and science, and is strong on the world building aspect.

I’m currently on book 11 in the series (plus a novella, an audio drama, and two spinoff books), 19 have come out so far and a 20th is apparently going to serve as the ending (unless Alanson changes his mind and keeps going). I’d recommend giving it a try, I think some here might enjoy it. Like I said once it gets going in the second half of the first books it gets really good, and it got me hooked at least.