Page 1 of 1

Scary PC crash...

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2026 8:50 pm
by Nik_SpeakerToCats
So I'm looking over books discounted on Amazon when PC (W_10) announces there's a problem, re-boots.

Prompt demands designated boot media.

Yes, proverbial nape-hair up-stand event, cold chills etc etc etc.

Tried manual re-boot, no improvement. Front case switch is ignored.

This is the point where you sit back from PC, mumble industrial-strength epithets, draw slow, wary breath...

Then, tuck keyboard aside, haul 'Tower' from under desk, feel around case snake-pit to the Kilowatt Corsair PSU and switch it off.

After long enough to calm nerves, switch on.

PC is well trained: It does not auto-start thus. ( I lost previous Tower to power-glitched restart killing C: )

Press front case switch.

Meep ! Gigabyte board logo comes up. Slowly, very slowly, despite the 'Road Runner' cry, W_10 loads in usual way.

Eventually, Chrome browser reports, "Incorrectly closed windows: Restore ??"

It did, too...

Brrr !!!

Re: Scary PC crash...

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2026 10:58 pm
by warshipadmin
I'm sure you back everything up, make sure it is complete. You are now in Challenger O ring territory, specifically as Feynman said, the time to start worrying is when the system does not behave as expected, not when it finally fails.

Re: Scary PC crash...

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2026 11:13 pm
by jemhouston
I will add to the backup, make sure you can access it from either your PC or preferably another.

Back in the dark ages, I used a tape backup, password protected. PC crashed, reloaded. Went to restore data from tape, couldn't access it.

However, a week prior, I copied my data to an Iomega drive for some reason. Lived with what lost. Switched to Iomega for backup.